Luke 8: 26-39 Jesus, Son of The Most High God
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Luke 8:26–8:39
Luke 8:26-39: Jesus, Son of The Most High God
A Battle of Equals … Or Not
The Crowd’s Fear & the Healed Man’s Request
The Identity of Jesus
Discipleship Guide & Reflection Questions
- Reread the text from Sunday (Luke 8:26-39). What do you remember most from the teaching on Sunday?
- Discuss the often repeated (though unattributed) quote, “the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist.” Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- Search through this text for evidence of Jesus’ superiority over the demons. List them aloud together. What does it mean to you personally that the demons end up begging Jesus for mercy? Put another way, what practical help does it offer you to know that the battle between good and evil is not a battle of equals?
- The demons perceive the identity of Jesus and address him as “Son of the Most High God.” Discuss this title. Why is it especially appropriate to the current scene? Does this title particularly resonate with you for any reason?
- Consider Jesus’ response to the healed man in v. 39. Among and/or to whom does bearing witness to what God has done for you seem most difficult? Why?
- End your time by praying for one another regarding the challenges you’ve just expressed in the previous question.