Topic: Exposition Scripture: Matthew 7:24–7:27
Review and Introduction
The end of the sermon
Two types of people
Both heard the words of Jesus (Matthew 7:24, 26)
Both built houses after hearing (Matthew 7:24, 26)
Both faced the storm (Matthew 7:25, 27)
Distinctions (Matthew 7:24, 26)
Wise vs. Foolish
Doing vs. Not Doing
Building on rock vs. Building on sand
Two outcomes (Matthew 7:25, 27)
Weathering the storm
A mighty fall
We must be hearers
We must be doers
- What are the implications of building a house on the bedrock in the days of Jesus. See Luke 6:46 for a parallel.
- Look back over The King’s Speech (Matthew 5-7) and find the things Jesus says to do. Do they differ from the things you think a Christian should do? If so, how?
- How do you see the relationship between the Sunday Gathering and your Missional Community in the parable?
- Do you feel like you have a tendency to hear more than do, or to do more than hear? If so, how do you feel toward the lesser one?
- How does the parable make you think differently about how a Christian acts?
- How does the word obedience make you feel? Uncomfortable? Safe? Joyful? What emotions come to mind when you think of obeying someone else? God?
- How can your Missional Community help you do the words of Jesus?
- What teachings does your community need to see lived by you?