Core Rhythms - Mission
Topic: Topical Scripture: Colossians 4:2–4:6
Self, Self, Self?
Lies and Truth
God Calls Us Out of Ourselves
To Worship - We live for the glory of God
To Love - We live for the good of Others
- Love and Serve - Manifesting the Kingdom
- Seek and Save - people who are lost and separted from God
His Mission for Us - We are both Called and Commissioned
Are we AWOL Ambassadors?
Ways Ambassadors God AWOL:
- Won’t Leave Their Own Country
- Don’t Like the Other People
- Fear of People’s Opinions
- Not Realizing the Importance of Their Call
- Don’t Feel Equipped and Trained
Looking at HOW TO – Our Call, Colossians 4:2–6 (ESV)
2 Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving.
3 At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison— 4 that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak.
5 Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. 6 Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.
- Keep it simple
- Share the story of God
- Answer questions patiently
- Walk with people
- Get to Jesus and Stay There
- Call to Repentance and Faith
Provoking our WANT TO
New Birth as Adopted People
- The family prepares and works to get ready to receive the new birth
- Many people participate in this according to their gifts; everyone can play a role
- There is some training – reading of Mom books, birthing books, thoughts of friends
- The Family is going to be changed, there is going to be labor, there is great joy
- We grow up by reaching out to others…parenting changes your life – working with others, walking with others, grows us up, makes our joy great and gives us strong hope that God is at work.
- As we see God at work in one another, in new members of the family of God we receive a blessing which only comes from living his mission together.
- When you think of sharing the good news of Jesus with others how do you feel? Pumped? Intimidated? Excited? Fearful? Equipped? Don’t know what I would say?
- Evangelism is the ministry of individuals and the church community. How can we all contribute to being a family of faith that shares the gospel well?
- How does our culture at Jacob’s Well welcome people who are not Christians? Where can we do better as a missional community with this? How can our family live this out?
- How many people who are not Christians are you friends with? How does your life overlap in meaningful ways with people who do not follow Jesus?
- How are you connecting with people who need Jesus? Serving your neighbors? Involved in a club, civic activity, sports team, etc?
- What are some ways that you, your family and missional community might serve others together along side people who are not Christians?