Core Rhythms - Gathering as the Church
Topic: Topical Scripture: 2 Timothy 4:1–4:5
Our Community Architecture
- The Church Gathered
- The Church Sent
- Simple at the Center, Active on the Edges
Our church gathers for preaching the gospel, observing the sacraments under biblical leadership. We live gospel life and mission sent in missional communities
The Church Gathered
When—Why on Sunday?
- Acts 20:2
- 1 Corinthians 16:2
- Gospels - Jesus rose on first day of the week
- Early church History
But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Savior on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He taught them these things, which we have submitted to you also for your consideration
Justin Martyr, First Apology, AD 155
What— What we do together?
- We Sing
- We Pray
- We Give
- Word and Sacrament
The Church is the congregation of saints, in which the Gospel is rightly taught and the Sacraments are rightly administered
— Augsburg Confession 1530
The Word—We Preach from The Scriptures
1 Timothy 4:12-16
2 Timothy 4:1-5
Adjusted by the Word - An example from Chiropratic
- Health and Vitality
Provoking our WANT TO
- Fuel for the journey
- Re-Grounding us in Reality
- Preparation for Suffering
- Lead us to see, confess and repent of sin
- Give us hope for the mission
- Strengthening us in the truth
- Humbles us…and makes us thankful people
- Why is it so important to remember “WHY” we gather each Sunday as a church?
- What are the dangers of having our lives overloaded with “church stuff”? What are the dangers of not gathering together regularly?
- Have you thought through your Sunday morning routine and how you prepare to hear the Word of God? See this week’s Core Rhythm application card.
- Discuss how the Scriptures read your life and show you where you need to change?
- Why do we need to hear regular Bible preaching and not simply “whenever”?