Clean and Unclean
Topic: Biblical Scripture: Mark 7:1–7:37
- Cleanliness & Godliness
A Matter of the Heart: Defiled by Hypocrisy (1-23)
- Religious Porcupines (1-13)
- Inside-Out (14-23)
A Matter of the Heart: Undefiled by Understanding (24-30)
- Declaration of Dependence
The Heart of the Matter: Jesus Frees Deaf, Dumb & Defiled (31-37)
- His Way of Holiness
- The New Covenant, A Clean Heart
COMMUNITY MEDITATION QUESTIONS
Growing in knowledge
- How do Isa. 29:13-14 and 35:5-8 relate to Jesus’s dealings with Jews and Gentiles in Mark 7?
- How does the New Covenant pattern of “clean-unclean” resemble and differ from the Old Covenant pattern (Day of Atonement/Lev. 16 & Holiness Code/Lev. 17-26)?
Feeling life deeply
- Which “traditions of men” do you prefer (license = no rules or legalism = only rules)? Why is this? How do you change?
- How does 7:21-22 shape our understanding of “the heart?”
- Name some things that keep us from seeing our need for Jesus in the way the woman did? What “other tables” do we go to for sustenance and satisfaction?
Living with courage
Jesus’s cleansing results in new hearts and walks. Name 1-2 people (home, work, neighborhood) and invest in them with the Gospel so that God might cleanse and give them new hearts.
More in Passion - The Gospel of Mark
August 26, 2012Death by Love, Resurrection by Grace, Unleashing the Kingdom
August 19, 2012Truth and Power
August 12, 2012His Last Days - Pt. II