Topic: Biblical Scripture: Leviticus 8:1–8:13
Priests, Priests Everywhere
God shapes a system so that people:
- KNOW him
- Be his SERVANTS
- Find their joy as WORSHIPPERS
GOD ≠ HUMANS
Covenant Mediation: The Priesthood (Hebrews 8:1-13)
Washed in Water
Anointed with Oil
Sprinkled with Blood
I Don’t Need THAT!!!
YES, we do!!! (Hebrews 4:14-16)
Growing in Knowledge
- If Jesus is our great high priest, why does the church still have leaders? Read 1 Timothy 3, Titus 1 and Ephesians 4:11-16. Compare the role of “elder/pastor/overseer” with that of a priest.
- What would you say to someone who says “I don’t need a church, I can go directly to God?” What is true about this statement? What is ridiculously false about it?
Feeling Life Deeply
- What aspects of our culture have we absorbed that leads us to think: “I don’t need anyone to connect me to God?”
- If people have been hurt by priests and religious leaders, how can you serve them well? What is our approach?
Living with Courage
- Read 1 Peter 2:1-11 together. What is Peter teaching us about our role in the world using the language of the OT system of covenant mediation (Law, Tabernacle/Temple, Sacrifice, Priesthood)?
- Compare Revelation 5:10 and Exodus 19:6. Who are we? What are some ways you live out this calling? How does this identify shape how you see your role at work? Among your friends? In the neighborhood?