Our Flow In Affliction
Topic: Exposition Scripture: 1 Thessalonians 3:1–3:5
Falsehoods and Faith
1 Peter 1:6 - 7
Concern and the Challenge of Affliction (verses 1-3a)
Why the concern? Matthew 13:18-23
Christian, This is Your Destiny (verses 3b, 4)
Suffering in General
Specifically as a follower of Jesus
Acts 9:16, John 16:33, 1 Peter 4:12
Affliction Reveals and Refines Faith (verse 5)
Learn about their faith
The tempter is at work
What Kept the Thessalonians?
1 Corinthians 2:3-5
Growing in Knowledge
- What are some “snake oil” theological ideas that many teach related to God and suffering? Why is this an area of doctrine that can be particularly hurtful to people? Why might it be important to have good teaching and understanding related to suffering before we head into dark seasons?
- Which book in the wisdom literature of the Bible directly addresses suffering? How does this book directly respond to the retort “You just love God because life is easy for you?”
- Read the book of 1 Peter this week and note everything taught on suffering? What did you find?
Feeling Life Deeply
- Paul had a deep concern for the Thessalonians so he sent Timothy back to them. What was he to do? Was he simply to go and check on them?
- How does having someone exhort us (come along side to help move us forward) in seasons of affliction help? How can it be less than helpful? (Hint: snake oil salesman?)
Living with Courage
- What can we do to encourage and help newer Christians in their faith? How can you help someone who is enduring affliction today?