Jesus is Truly Human
Topic: Topical Scripture: Hebrews 4:14–4:16
Different and Same
God all the way down
Jesus Truly Human
A Real Human Being
Putting on Human Nature
So What if Jesus is Truly Human? (Hebrews 4:14-16)
Suffering With and For Us (verse 14)
Sympathizing With Us (verse 15)
Tempted for Real
Serving Us as our Friend (verse 16)
1 Timothy 2:5, 6, John 15:15-17
Growing in Knowledge
- Look up an English translation of the Definition of Chalcedon online. Read together.
- In the ancient world people who believed Jesus to be divine opposed him being a real flesh and blood human. Why?
- Why must we reject both of these caricatures of Jesus? “He’s just a human being like you,” and “He wasn’t really a human being like you.”
- Discuss and review the role of “priests” we glean from the Old Testament book of Leviticus. Jesus is our priest but why is his ministry so different? What sacrifice does he bring? Where is it offered?
Feeling Life Deeply
- Hebrews 4 teaches us that Jesus is not a distant deity but is able to sympathize with our weaknesses. How so? Why should this matter to us?
Living with Courage
- The book of Proverbs teaches us “A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” Prov 18:24. What if your best friend and brother was Jesus? How does this affect your desire to pray? How does it shape our sense of the church as family/community?