Wealth and Generosity
Topic: Topical Scripture: Proverbs 11:24–11:29
From Worship to Walking
WISDOM in our WALKING is WORSHIP with the INSTRUMENT of our lives
A Word on Generosity
Barriers to Generosity
Stewardship vs. Ownership (Psalm 50:10-11; Psalm 24:1,2)
Peace in the savings account
Chaotic and careless financial management
I’ll give when I’m more established (Luke 16:10)
Keeping up with the Jones
WISDOM AND GENEROSITY—PROVERBS 11:24—29
Market Manipulation (Proverbs 11:26, 27)
Fleeting Satisfaction (Proverbs 11:28, 4, 7)
Relationship Destruction (Proverbs 11:29)
The Blessing of Generosity (Proverbs 11:24, 25)
Generosity in Practice (2 Corinthians 9:6-15)
Needs are met, God is glorified
- Read 2 Corinthians 8:1-15. Discuss the various examples and results of generous giving by the churches of Macedonia.
- Read the story of Zacchaeus in Luke 19:1-10. Discuss how he responded to his encounter with Jesus. What happened to his heart? What was the result of this experience? What about the response of those who were standing by?
- What are some of the barriers to generosity you personally experience? What prevents you from giving or what makes it hard for you to give?
- Why is our generosity so important? Discus the implications of the giving of our lives (time, talents, treasure)
- What are practical ways you can enhance your generosity? Do you maintain a budget with an understanding of where your money is being allocated to each month?
- What are ways your missional community can both encourage one another in generosity and serve together in joy and generosity in mission?