Disciple: The Good Law
Mission and Motive
1 Timothy 1:7
THE GOOD LAW
The Law is Good (verse 8)
We know X, if and only if Y
The Law Used Lawfully
The Law Laid Down (verses 9,10)
Excursus on Sexual Mores...
In Accordance with the Gospel (verse 11)
Freedom in Jesus
- Read Psalm 19:7-11 and highlight all the nouns and associated adjectives used to describe the law of the Lord. What is the overall tone of this Psalm?
- What is the purpose of the law? Or the “lawful use” of the law as described by Paul?\
- Read Exodus 20:1-17. Discuss the correlation of the extreme law breaking in 1 Tim 1:9,10 and the commandments.
- We live in an age where we are so hesitate to call anything truly “wrong.” Is this right? Why or why not? How do you feel reading this list in 1 Timothy 1:9,10? How does our current culture and our society’s viewpoint effect us?
- Read 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, particularly 11. Read also Titus 3:1-7. How should we treat the lawless, disobedient, the ungodly, sinners, unholy and profane? How should we view ourselves? How should we view other people?