Disciple: Slaves and Family
Topic: Exposition Scripture: 1 Timothy 6:1–6:2
SLAVERY & SLAVES
SUFFERING & OUR SANCTIFICATION
SALVATION & OUR SAVIOR
- Have you heard anyone criticize the Bible for what it says about slavery? What concerns have you had when you read what the Bible says about slavery
- How was the American slave trade different from the slavery in Old Testament Israel or in New Testament Rome?
- How do the various forms of slavery violate the principle that all people have equal dignity before God?
- In light of the emotions attached to an issue like slavery, what kind of attitude should characterize our conversations about this issue?
- How have Christian societies in the past used the Bible to justify slavery? Have you ever agreed with these notions? How has God changed your view?
- How does our understanding of slavery help us appreciate what Jesus did for us? How does it help us understand our proper response?
- What is Paul's main motivation in instructing slaves according to verse 1? Why is this crucial for this important and sensitive issue?
- Do you tend to treat Christian employers better or worse than non-Christian employers? If worse, how might verse 2 change your mind set in this area?
- In what specific ways can you honor your employer this week? How might that glorify God and advance the gospel?