July 24, 2016
What a Wonderful World
The Role of Worship in the Life of Faith
Worship Wars (vv. 1,2)
The Voice of God (vv. 3-8)
Safe in Him (v. 9)
King on the Waters (v. 10)
The King and His People (v. 11)
Jesus and Psalm 29
The Word of God
King on the Waters
- Read Psalm 29 aloud. Which images stand out to you as you read this Psalm aloud? How do these images help you understand God more deeply? Be specific.
- Why do you think God’s people are commanded to worship Him? What does worship do for us? What does worship do for God?
- Read the story of Jesus and Peter walking on water (Matthew 14:22-33) and Psalm 29 together. What fresh connections do you see?
- Do you tend to see God more as a consuming storm or a safe refuge? Why is it important to hold these two together? What is lacking if we ignore one of these truths?
- When are you most tempted to doubt God’s goodness or sovereignty? How might the truth of this Psalm (and others) address those doubts?
- Consider spending extended time this week listening to some of your favorite worship music and/or reading through the Psalms. Then reflect on the experience with a friend or family member. What sort of emotions did the experience produce? Why?
other sermons in this series