Discipleship In The Light: 1 John 2:7-14
Topic: Exposition Scripture: 1 John 2:7–2:14
Discipleship in the light: 1 John 2:7-14
Introduction: Love is a Choice!
Love Remembered (v.7a)
Love Refined (v. 8)
Love Revealed (vv. 9-11)
Love Recognized (vv. 12-14)
Conclusion: We’re Eternally Forgiven in Him!
Discipleship group questions
- Read 1 John 2:7-14 aloud together. What stands out to you from this passage? What do you remember most from Sunday’s teaching?
- Discuss 1 John 2:7 together: What is the command that is mentioned here? How is it both a new and old command?
- Is it possible to rightly love another without a true love for God? How does John shed light on this question?
- Why is hatred for a brother contrary to love for God? What does such hatred expose about our hearts?
- Discuss 1 John 2:8 together. What does it means that "... the True light is already shining" (v.8)? In what specific ways does this provide hope for you?
- What are some example of love that you see throughout the Scriptures? How is Jesus the perfect example of love for others?
- Read ahead to 1 John 2:15-19. Identify at least 2-3 possible connections between this week's text and next week's text. How does John build on what he’s said in 2:7-14 in 2:15-19?
- How can you live out love for others [this week] in such a way that reveals your knowledge of and love for God? End your time by praying into these opportunities.