Subversion - Jesus as Lord in the Book of Colossians - An Introduction
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Colossians 1:1–1:2
Who runs our lives?
Two words: Subversion and Lord
The Letter to the Colossians
1Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother
Will of God
The Work of a Movement
2aTo the saints and faithful brothers in Christ at Colossae
Saints and faithful
The City of Colossae
The Church Planted There
The Cultural Context in Colossae
For the Fam
2bGrace to you and peace from God our Father.
Grace, Peace, Father
Major Themes in Colossians
King Jesus, Christ Jesus the Lord
Subversion of Powers
Life Change – Sanctification
Church as Body of Christ and Spiritual Household
Church as Missional Community
Community Meditation Questions
- Discuss the ways our culture might resemble that of ancient Colossae?
- The Colossian church was the result of a church planting movement based in Ephesus in the Roman province of Asia. How can you see your family, your MC, and your lives being used to help shape such a movement here in New Jersey?
- What work does God need to do in our lives in order for him to use us in this way? Where do you see him already working in us towards that future?
- If Jesus is KING why do so many other things take first place in our lives? How could money, career paths, success, power, and fame influence your major life decisions?
- Read and meditate on Matthew 6:25-34 and Matthew 28:18-20. How would you relate the main ideas in these passages?
More in Subversion - Colossians
April 10, 2011Gospel, Community, Mission
April 3, 2011Live it Together - Marriage, Family and Labor in the Gospel
March 27, 2011Put it On