Triumph...The Victory of God in Jesus Christ
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Colossians 2:8–2:15
- Indicative and Imperative
- Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him…
The Colossian Heresy
Aspects of the false teaching
Many theories of its precise origin
Bottom line is that in relationship to God
- Jesus + SOMETHING ELSE —-> NOTHING
- Jesus + NOTHING ELSE —-> EVERYTHING WE NEED
See to It! (v8)
Our duty: Not be captured
- According to Human Tradition - man made
- According to Elemental Spirits
- Not According to Christ
Deceptive Philosophies in Our Day
- Selfish Hedonism
- Selfish Contol
- Spritituality devoid of God
- Pluralism about truth and God
Truth Protects (9, 10)
The Real Jesus, Does Real Work (11-15)
- Circumcision and Baptism (11,12)
- Coming Alive in Freedom (13, 14)
- Triumph!!! (15)
Community Meditation Questions
- What are some of the “plausible arguments” and “deceptive philosophies” in our culture today which might drag our hearts and minds away from Jesus?
- Have you ever feel like tapping out and walking away from God? Just in case you feel like you must give a pious answer—Moses did, Samson did, David did, Solomon did, Elijah did and Jesus’ disciples did.
- What did Paul think would keep the Colossian Christians from being taken captive?
- How is the gospel on display in baptism? How does it identify a person with a new Kingdom? If you have not been baptized as a believer in Christ? What is holding you back?
- Paul wanted to us to see that Christ triumphed over demonic and spiritual forces as well as the “written code” which condemns us. Which do you find most troubled by? Forces that seem against you? Your guilt for your law breaking and sin? How does the gospel free us from both?
More in Subversion - Colossians
April 10, 2011Gospel, Community, Mission
April 3, 2011Live it Together - Marriage, Family and Labor in the Gospel
March 27, 2011Put it On