Self Made Religion Sucketh
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Colossians 2:16–2:23
- Jesus + Trusting Something Else ==> Nothing
- Jesus + Nothing Else ==> Everything we need
The In and The Out
Over time and history human beings have always created teams, I am simply calling them the “IN” and the “OUT” this morning.
- Winning vs. Loosing – Tiger Blood and Adonis DNA and the rest are Losers
- Educated and Cultured People look down on Working Class Folk
- Racism, Classism, Sexism – I’m better because. We are better, I’m better
Who is IN or OUT with God?
- All are IN?
- All are OUT?
- Some IN Some OUT?
The Story of Religion
- What do I do to get in?
- What do I do to stay in?
Religion always focuses on the external – ON WHAT YOU DO. I’m better because of my works, my efforts, my religious devotion, my awesomeness in the way I follow the rules and/or follow GOD.
The Story of the Gospel
- In Jesus, God goes OUT and brings US IN
Paul’s message is this – If JESUS brought you IN, Let no religion put you out?
Let no one pass judgment on you (verses 16, 17)
Religious Day Keeping
Shadow vs. Substance
Let no one disqualify you (verses 18, 19)
Disqualification - Religious Umpires
Disconnecting from Jesus
- Insisting on Asceticism and Worship of Angels
- Authority based on their personal visions
- Puffed up - arrogance
Severed from the Head
- Not Growing
Live the Gospel (verses 20-23)
With Christ—Death, Resurrection, Living, Mission
Don’t Submit to to "Self Made Religions"
Community Meditation Questions
- What are some things today which people use to set themselves up as “better” or “more of a winner” than others? How can we do this with “Religion”? How does religious elitism divide people?
- Colossians 2:20-23 and 3:1-4 move us to see our lives in the death and resurrection of Jesus. In 2:20-23 the Colossians are told that they “died” to certain things that sought to control them. What things tend to control you and your outlook on life? How can we die to these things?
- Why do you think it is easier for us to settle for the “external” observances of self made religion rather than deep allegiance to Jesus in our hearts?
- Discuss the difference between obeying God out of obligation and obeying out of love for Jesus.
- Discuss the following statement. In Jesus God goes OUT to us to bring us IN to God? How does the metaphor of adoption speak to our salvation in Jesus?
- We must remember who really loves us. It is not the world.
More in Subversion - Colossians
April 10, 2011Gospel, Community, Mission
April 3, 2011Live it Together - Marriage, Family and Labor in the Gospel
March 27, 2011Put it On