Scripture: Colossians 3:5–3:11
Sometimes Something Needs to Die
Kill It (v 5, 6)
Sex and Paganism
Sex and Covenant
You Too (v7)
Put it Away (v8)
Old and New (v9,10)
Christ is All in New Life Together (v11)
How to Slay a Dragon (or Kill a Plant)
1. Neglect It
2. Start It
3. Cut off the Head
Community Meditation Questions
- Discuss the three aspects of sin mentioned in the sermon. 1) Sin is an issue of worship—turning from God 2) Obedience/Disobedience to God’s laws follows the heart/our loves 3) Sin has consequences that are experienced in us and others. Why do we focus so much on these in reverse order?
- The use of our bodies sexually is a matter of worship not simply of our behavior? Discuss why Paul focused so much on sexuality with the Colossians?
- Prudish or Perverted? One extreme will not discuss sexuality the other encourages any form of sexuality without addressing sin. Discuss what might be a more balanced approach for your family and community.
- Perhaps in breakout groups of men and women, talk about various manifestations of sin that you have trouble shaking.
- How can you work together to slay these dragons? What would be a dumb way to fight? What weapons must we use in this fight?
- Read and meditate on Romans 8 this week. Memorize together 1 Corinthians 10:13.
More in Subversion - Colossians
April 10, 2011Gospel, Community, Mission
April 3, 2011Live it Together - Marriage, Family and Labor in the Gospel
March 27, 2011Put it On