Stuff Just Got Crazy
August 16, 2015 Speaker: Reid S. Monaghan Series: Judges: Partial Victories & the Faithfulness of God
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Judges 19
A King from Judah
The Porta Potty Cycle
Why is stuff like this in the Bible?
STUFF JUST GOT CRAZY
When God is Not King, Verse 1a
Levites and Friends with Benefits, Verses 1b-3
Hospitality at Dad’s, Verses 4-10
Traveling South, Verses 11-13
Safe with Benjamin? Verses 14-21
The Return of the Worthless Fellows, Verses 22-30
WHY, AGAIN, ARE WE READING THIS?
The Gracious Gift of Repentance
- In Genesis 19 we see a similar story about hospitality, sexual perversion, and God’s judgment. Who are the perpetrators in the narrative of Sodom? Who are the evil doers here in Judges 19? Why is the new Sodom even more shocking than the first?
- Read 1 Peter 4:12-19. What does it mean for judgment to begin with the house of God? What sort of judgment is in view here?
- What is the danger of comfort with sin and numbness to conviction for sin?
- How can you stay sensitive to repenting without becoming morbid, self-loathing people? What do you need to know more than simply knowing your own sin?
- In what areas of life can you “consider, take counsel and speak?” How can you work for the unborn, the born and for women’s rights and needs?
- Pray about the Run for Life in October and our help for the Metuchen CPC. Participate as an MC.
- What other issues in our culture can you be helpful and speak out on? Racial justice, supporting parents, helping marriages be strong, care for the elderly, food security?