August 23, 2015 Speaker: Reid S. Monaghan Series: Judges: Partial Victories & the Faithfulness of God
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Judges 20
Cycles and Porta Potty
Stuff Got Crazy
The Downstream Village
We want Justice! Verses 1-12
Disproportionate Justice? Verses 13-19
The Carnage of Civil War Verses 20-28
Defeat, Defeat, Favor
The Battle Turns Verses 29-48
THE END...NOBODY WINS?
Sin begets sin
Justice and peace
Vengeance is Gods
- The Levite presents his story to Israel in a certain light. What parts does he leave out in light of the narrative in Judges 19?
- Revisit Judges 1 which records Judah winning battles. What are the similarities in Judges 1 and 20? What are the differences? Who is the enemy?
- Should we feel anger at injustice and evil doing? How might anger alone cause disproportionate responses? Why do we need both outrage and truth?
- Have you seen instances where things escalate out of control? In history? In your history?
- Look at your own life story. Where is there infighting, civil war, strife that gets out of control? What’s our part in this?
- Read Romans 12:9-21 out loud with your family and with your missional community. What do you think “as far as it depends upon you” means and requires of us? How can you know if you have done enough to make peace with others? How can you lay down your arms of needing to make your case, fight the battles etc.? What is the example of Jesus found in 1 Peter 22:22-25?