A New Commandment
Topic: Exposition Scripture: John 13:18–13:38
A NEW COMMANDMENT
A New Example
The Extent and Context of Jesus' Love
A New Empowerment
Candlesticks and the Transforming Power of Grace
A New Invitation
The Heart of God / The Heart of Reality
"To Love Another Person..."
DISCIPLESHIP GROUP QUESTIONS
- Read aloud the text from Sunday (John 13:18-38). Consider reading three verses each until you’re finished. What do you remember most from the teaching on Sunday? Discuss what stood out to you as you read through the passage this time.
- How is Jesus’ command to love different than the way our society talks about love? Which definition of love is more dominant in your own heart and life? How can you tell?
- How does Jesus’ love for us empower us to love others? Give practical examples. Can you think of stories within your own life or things in culture that serve as illustrations of the “transforming power of grace”?
- Read John 14:20-23 and discuss the following quote, “God’s presence is not the reward of love, the commandment is a gift in which the Giver is present.” What does this mean?
- Read 1 John 3:16-18. What is the logic of these verses?
- In what ways and in what areas of your life do you most struggle to love wholeheartedly? In what relationships does “loving like Jesus loved” seem impossible? Give advice on how each person might overcome their obstacles to love.
- End your time by praying specifically for each person and the challenges they face in living out Jesus’ “new commandment”.