Vain Things and the Living God
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Acts 14:8–14:23
Acts 14:8-23: Vain things and the living God
The Living God
Becoming Like the Living God
Vain Things and Our Worship
Discipleship group questions
- Read aloud the text from Sunday (Acts 14:8-23). What do you remember most from the teaching?
- Discuss the following phrase from 14:22: “through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God.” What do you think this means?
- What “vain things” do you believe our culture worships most? What “vain things” do you find yourself most drawn to worship? Be as specific as possible … what “gods” do you tend to worship and what do you think they promise?
- How would you articulate why God is superior to these other false gods?
- Read Colossians 1:24-29 aloud together. On Sunday the idea of bearing scars on behalf of Christ and others was discussed. Identify the “marks of Jesus” that you’ve seen in one another’s lives. In other words, where do you see/have you seen one another suffer faithfully?
- In what ways do you see yourself tending to choose what’s easy rather than what’s faithful to God? Put another way, if Jesus is “the human being we dare not be,” where are you not daring enough? Consider the categories of time, energy, talent and treasure as you answer this question.
- End your time by praying for God’s help in overcoming our worship of “vain things.” Pray for courage to instead follow where He leads, no matter the cost